Ms. Violet's Musings

if you're not angry, then you're not paying attention.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Anti-Feminism

There is a fantastic post over at Mind the Gap, regarding Countering Anti-Feminism.
Not all feminists reject femininity, but most reject the notion that it should be a prison and many of us have complex and self-reflexive relationships with our own femininity or lack of it.
I must say, the most annoying anti-feminist remark I receive is usually along the lines of "well, if you're a feminist, then I'm a manist". Sometimes I feel as though if feminism was actually referred to as 'genderism' people would be less likely to disregard it. Of course, shying away from "scary words" is not going to change anything and a-name-is-a-name-is-a-name and all... but sometimes such unenlightened remarks can be so disheartening. .... I don't know why, but I am still struggling to think of interesting things to blog about here. I have bought many, many books lately though (much love, Oxfam bookshops), so hopefully they should light my fire and give me plenty of feminist-related topics to comment on!

3 Comments:

  • At 11/03/2005 10:56:00 pm, Blogger Tom Smith said…

    Hi Violet,

    It's "masculist" not "manist". That proves how powerless us men are. we don't even have a political identity nonetheless organization and power that matches feminists like yourself. It's the best kept secret in America and that is American Women rule over men with corporate men. I call it corporate feminism. You own the democratic party and have great influence in the republican party.

    Tom Smith

     
  • At 11/04/2005 12:40:00 pm, Blogger Laurelin said…

    Second hand bookshops are the best! I'm in an unbloggy mode at the moment too... writer's block and all that. I'm hoping my feminist fire will be set alight soon as well. Maybe I'll write something on the men's movement.
    The Mind the Gap post was fantastic, wasn't it? Winter really put her finger right on the issues! :)

     
  • At 1/04/2006 01:41:00 pm, Blogger Andrea said…

    FEMINISTS influence the REPUBLICAN party?
    Are you on acid or what?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home